By Tereza Tomek
With schools closed and many people out of work this is as great a time as any to bring the joy of learning music into your life! Many music teachers around the Comox Valley have completed the transition from in-person to video lessons and are ready to share their wisdom.
Daphne Stuart (www.daphnestuart.com) is a teacher with a background in piano, ukulele, flute, choir, and musical theater. Although she enjoyed delving into performance through her UVic music degree she knew since grade 3 that her true passion would be teaching. She wanted to find a more engaging way to bring music to kids and trained as a Music for Young Children (MYC) instructor.
“The founder of MYC, a Canadian woman, knew that children retain new concepts better if they experience it in a fun way rather than listening to a teacher explain it” says Stuart.
In her lessons her goal is to approach concepts from various angles in order to target different learning styles. “Being dyslexic myself, I’ve always had a natural ability to recognize neurodiversity in students but with MYC I now have the tools to teach these kids in a way that works. I teach every concept in 4 different ways. Yes, I will verbally explain something but then we will do an activity for the visual, kinetic and tactile learners as well.”
Although the transition to video lessons has challenges, Daphne has found that with a little help from parents she is able to have a fun and engaging distance learning experience with her students.
“An unexpected bonus, and I hear this from parents several times a week, is that the students’ mood improves dramatically after a lesson. Just having the human connection in these isolating times is huge. Building relationships like that has always been part of my philosophy but now I’m seeing how vital it is.”
Daphne Stuart is taking piano and theory students now and can be reached at email@example.com.
Are you interested in music lessons for you or your kids? Here is a list of local resources to check out!
- All Keyed Up Music Studio (www.allkeyedup.ca): Adult and kids piano, recorder, and theory lessons.
- Long & Mcquade: Various instructors teaching most instruments. Contact (250) 338-3899 for more information.
- Ali Romanow (www.aliromanow.com): Violin, voice, theory. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Foxwood Music Studio: Drum lessons. Contact email@example.com to schedule a lesson/consultation.
- Jenny Lester (www.jennylester.com). Private and group lessons in bluegrass harmony and string instruments.
- Melisa Devost (www.melisadevost.com): Certified Associate Teacher of Fitzmaurice Voicework®. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for vocal lessons.
- Helena Jung (www.helenajung.com): Cello lessons including Suzuki method.
- Kim June Johnson (www.kimjunejohnson.com/songwriting-mentorship): Songwriting for kids and adults.
- Ruth Rae: Ukulele, Electric Bass, Clarinet, Sax and Trumpet Lessons. Adult lessons and group kids lessons. Contact email@example.com.
- Daisy Melville: Suzuki violin lessons. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org